1. What data do we collect?
If you register to use the Studious Ryze app, Studious created app or e-learning platform, we collect the following information:
- full name;
- email address;
- as part of your Learner profile, you can also provide other information that will help other learners get to know you and help us to tailor the service to suit your needs;
- we will also store the results of your achievements from assessment and content that you enter onto the platform;
- we also collect your computer’s IP address in order to help us tailor the service to your location.
1.2 Social Media Platforms and other websites
Our website and App will permit limited use of social sharing buttons which helps allow you to share web content directly from our web pages to social media platforms. Please note that the social media platform may track and save your request to share a web page through your social media platform account and this information will be subject to their privacy policies and terms and conditions.
Our website also contains links to other websites of interest. Please note that external websites are not under our control and will have their own privacy policies and terms and conditions.
2. Where do we collect this data from?
We collect data through your interactions with us when you:
- use our website;
- register to use our app or e-learning platform;
- access our app or e-learning platform;
- use our note taking platform;
- use our journaling platform;
- post comments on threads;
- post messages on our app or e-learning platform;
- ask for information or when you report a problem relating to the website or the Online courses and Content;
- partake in educational quizzes and polls
3. Why do we collect information?
We collect this data to:
- provide you with a personalised browsing experience when using the website;
- allow you to use the full range of features on our app or our website;
- fulfil any contractual agreements between you and us;
- manage your Learner account that you hold with us;
- send you course-specific notifications and updates about Online Courses and Content you are enrolled on;
- comply with legal and regulatory requirements;
- allow the applicable university and/or other partner institution to monitor your progress and award you with the relevant reward or accreditation as required where you are taking Online Content and Course and are awarded point;
- provide, maintain, protect and improve the quality of the e-learning app or website and the Online Courses and Content we offer, including by conducting anonymised market research, and to protect us and our users;
- contact you occasionally in order to invite you to share your opinions and experiences of Studious eLearning content or platforms. You have the right to opt-out from this communication by emailing [email protected].
4. How do we use your data?
The personal data that we collect from you, and you provide to us, are used to manage the service, for authentication, and statistical purposes.
Your personal data is processed as part of our contract and service with your University, Institution or employer. Where you provide your consent, we will directly communicate to you our Newsletter and other content and services which we think may interest you. (You can control your preferences on the settings page to opt-out of this). Your opt-in consent is required to receive these communications and you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. If you wish to change your communication preferences, please update your account settings within the settings section of the app, or you can email [email protected].
Your individual learner data (first/last name and email) will be stored on our Learner Management System (LMS) to enable learners to access the online learning service, complete courses, answer questionnaires, access resources, record learning progress and download notes or journal entries.
Studious will invite you to download any content before the notified service expiry date. If you choose not to download your user generated content, access to the courses and content will be stored for three months, after that time you will no longer be able to access the content.
Studious and other partner institutions that provide online and app-based e-Learning Courses or Content carry out academic and educational research in order to develop and provide improved online course content.
Your activities on any Studious course are shared with the course provider for academic research purposes and with you the user. This includes the comments you make where you may disclose certain personal information about yourself.
Even though we never associate your comments, information or other course activity with any of your public user profile information (such as name or profile picture) in the datasets we share with the course provider, it may still be possible to identify you by (a) the content of your comments or (b) finding the actual comment on the website and seeing the user associated with it; (c) matching pseudonymised identifiers to an individual. We want you to feel comfortable sharing any comments with us and your academics institutes or organisation, and we confirm that all our course providers who conduct research will never associate your comment or your activity with your user account by method (b) above and will always treat any personal data in strict accordance with data protection laws and the research ethic guidelines.
5. How long do we keep your personal data?
We only keep your personal data for as long as is necessary. The decision on the length of time which we will retain your personal data for will depend on the following criteria:
- legal requirements;
- contractual requirements;
- management of the service;
- requirements placed upon us by data controllers.
Anonymised statistical and aggregated information which cannot identify you will be retained for longer periods of time.
6. Who do we share your personal data with?
We only share your personal data to provide our services or to comply with legislative, regulatory or contractual obligations. We share this information with your university or employer, when necessary, to allow the service to run effectively or to prevent harm. We do not, and will never, sell your personal data to third parties.
7. How is your personal data kept secure?
We take the protection of your data seriously. We protect your personal data via the use of various technical and organisational measures such as encryption, password protection, access controls, and appropriate firewall technology to prevent unauthorised access. All information is stored on secure servers and is regularly backed up. When you register, we will ask you to choose a password which enables you to access the Online Courses and Content. You are responsible for keeping this password confidential. This password must not be shared with anyone.
8. What rights do you have?
You have the following rights:
- To have access to your personal data. You can access your personal data through your user account on the Ryze App or by emailing [email protected];
- To amend or rectify your personal data, such as changing your communication preferences, account username or picture, which can be done through your user account settings area on the Ryze App;
- To request deletion of your personal data. Please note, that there may be circumstances where we are legally required or entitled to retain it. If you wish to request deletion of your personal data, please contact us (the details to do this can be found in the ‘How to contact us’ section below) An individual learner can request that we delete individual learning history via emailing [email protected], requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- To restrict and/or object to the processing of your personal data, in certain circumstances. If you wish to request restriction or objection to the use of your personal data, please contact us (the details to do this can be found the ‘How to contact us’ section below); and,
9. How to contact us
10. What can I do if I am unhappy?
If we cannot resolve any data privacy issues, or you are unhappy with our decisions, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Website and email enquiries
For marketing purposes
We may contact you for marketing purposes if you have consented to receive marketing information, if you have made an enquiry regarding Studious services, or if it has been identified that Studious services may be of legitimate interest to you. We do not use your data in a way you would find intrusive or which could cause harm, and you have the right to stop us from contacting you for marketing purposes at any time by emailed [email protected]
We use your information to:
- to provide you with information about the products/services we offer
- to assist you in answering any questions or queries you may have submitted
- to send newsletters where you have asked for them
Studious may contact you via email to invite you to review any services and/or products you received from us in order to collect your feedback and improve our services and products (the “Purpose”).
Studious may also use such reviews in other promotional material and media for our advertising and promotional purposes.
Studious operates an email newsletter programme through the website, used to inform subscribers about products and services we supply through the website. You can also manage your subscriptions if you contact us.
Email marketing campaigns sent to you by us may contain tracking facilities within the actual email. Your activity is tracked and stored in a database for future analysis and evaluation. Such tracked activity may include; the opening of emails, forwarding of emails, the clicking of links within the email content, times, dates and frequency of activity, other activity around how you access and view the emails and tracking with the aim of improving your experience and how we present our email newsletter going forward.
This information may be used to refine future email campaigns and supply you with more relevant content based on your activity.
You will be able to unsubscribe from an email newsletter from us by clicking the applicable unsubscribe link in our email – or other instructions provided by us in the email.
Use of Website Cookies
If you don’t want cookies to be stored on your device, you should make the necessary changes to your device or the relevant browsers or apps. Please note that if you disable cookies, some services or website functionality may not be available.
We use the following cookies:
- Essential cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, and to use online forms.
- Marketing cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences. These cookies also record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website, the advertising displayed on it and communications sent more relevant to your interests.
By continuing to use this site, you are accepting our use of these cookies that make advertising and communications more relevant to you and your interests, and further help us to improve the site.
Other cookies may be stored on your device by external vendors when this website uses referral programs, sponsored links or adverts. These cookies are used for conversion and referral tracking and typically expire after 30 days, though some may take longer. No personal information is stored, saved or collected without your consent.